Last months post talked about how I was trying to break out of being type cast as the sound man. This months post is about being re-type cast as the sound man!
Back in October I took up the role of sound yet again for the films Subject 27 and Blind.
You can read the script for Subject 27 here: Subject 27 (Script)
Now the films are both finished. Shooting on them was pretty much back to back for me and so I was going solid, doing long days everyday for about two weeks. And we also had a set to build for Subject 27.
On set, Blind was much easier as there were a lot less shots to do and so more time was spent over them. Subject 27 though had lots more shots, as well as the make-up to do which took up a lot of time, therefore it was much more of a stressful shoot with everyones annoyance levels much higher!
Both shoots went well though and then it came to the edit. With Blind I never actually touched the timeline. There were a couple of FX that were needed which I went out and got, but otherwise I just left it to the editor to get on with. So with Blind there wasn’t really any post-production work I had to do. On Subject 27 though it was a completely different story. The Director (Jack Bass) and Editor (Matt Hunt) were in the edit suite from November working hard on the film. I only did one day in the edit suite in December and that was just to play around with some sounds I’d got. I then came back in the middle of January with the Director and Editor and that’s when my post-production job really began. I worked pretty solidly on the film again, this time for about two and a half weeks. Myself and the Editor would both be working on the film on two separate computers which meant that we were able to work much more efficiently. I had a lot of post sound to do and so started to tackle it scene by scene, which is definitely the right thing to do.
Gradually I built up the layers on the soundtrack until myself and the director where happy. Then I went through the film again and again two audio lines at a time mixing the levels for the final version of the film.
The film was 95% done apart from the opening sequence. I’d already done some sound design for the opening sequence, but it was only a couple of days before the deadline for the film that the titles and images for the sequence had been done. I therefore had to create the sound for the opening sequence the day before the hand in date. I exported the visual sequence onto my own MacBook Pro where I worked on the sequence in Logic. Up until now I had been editing the sound on the university computers where we edited. I went through my favourite sound library website SoundSnap and picked out a number of sounds that I wanted and thought I could manipulate well. I then also recorded the Director saying a few lines which he came up with and processed his voice so that it would not sound like him. It was then a matter of adding these sound to the timeline I had on Logic. I spent a few hours choosing the sounds I wanted, placing them where I wanted and synching them up to the image.
I then had to mix my mini timeline and then export it as one audio file to import into onto the master timeline on the university’s computer, and then import and mix the single file so that the levels were consistent with the sound in the rest of the film.
The film was then finally finished after some very last minute work and here is the end product.
I think the film was a success and I’m very proud of the work that we’ve all done on it. I also think that whilst I was trying to break away from being type cast as the sound man I’ve done my best piece of sound design to date, and so might have shot myself in the foot a bit there in that regard. But oh well, I’m proud of the work I’ve done and come to realise now that my directing work is something I’ll have to pursue on the side.
As for Blind, I shall upload that film next month, and I also have some behind the scenes photos and a little behind the scenes video to show as well.
In terms of my other projects, myself and co-director Jessica Taylor have been working on a ballet short called Beautiful Illusion. We’ve done three out of our two shoots for the film, but have unfortunately had a bit of a relapse. The gallery where we did the first two shoots has now changed the artwork that is on display, and we still have one shoot left. Fortunately we only need close ups of the ballet dancer and so hopefully you won’t actually be able to see the artwork which will mean we will be able to intercut it with the stuff we already have. Otherwise it might be a case of having to reshoot the stuff we already have. We’re really pleased with the stuff we’ve already shot so it would be a shame to have to reshoot it all. Either way we should hopefully have finished shooting and editing by the end of the month and then it is just the graphics and the music to do, before we will be able to enter it into some film festivals. Hopefully Subject 27 and Blind will also make the festival circuit as it would be great if just one of them got recognised. In the mean time here is some slow motion test footage we shot of the ballet.
Since I’ve now taken down the John Stewart Talk (Part 2), which I posted last month, from my SoundCloud account, to make space for other things, I’ve uploaded the file here instead, so you should still be able to download it for the next few months.
Here is the next and last one in the series though: